Join the .id team
What can we offer you?
Are you interested in how places are changing? Do you enjoy working with numbers, data, and maps? Can you explain complex technical terms clearly and concisely? Do you enjoy travelling and presenting to clients?
Would you like to work with a team of “corporate refugees” who are committed to creating an intelligent company where our ideas can flourish, our work matters and we treat ourselves and our clients with integrity and humour?
We have a new role for an experienced consultant to join our population forecasting team, focusing on local government clients across Australia and New Zealand. The successful applicant will have a background in spatial analysis and research, have a keen interest in the role and function of cities and regions, and help the team (and ultimately the business) achieve its goals.
Who would you be working with?
.id was started in 1997 by a group of people who are deeply interested in public policy and urban planning and who want to contribute to building a good society in Australia. They also wanted to break free from the corporate mould, creating a place where they enjoyed going to work. Twenty years on these values are still the driving force behind .id and the nearly 50 of us who work here. .id produces highly respected independent population profiles and forecasts and currently has over 250 clients across Australia and New Zealand. Our work is practical and innovative, both in its production and delivery.
Our contribution to society is to build the demographic and economic evidence-base upon which important decisions are made. When and where should councils invest in water and sewer infrastructure in greenfield areas? How does the changing age structure impact on the delivery of local services such as child care, libraries and recreation services? Our team of demographers, economists, spatial analysts, urban planners, forecasters, census data and IT experts answer these sorts of questions.
What makes it an exciting role?
.id has been producing population forecasts (forecast.id) for local government for the last 15 years. We have Australia’s largest forecasting team and there are currently more than 130 local government clients who subscribe to forecast.id across Australia and New Zealand. With the release of 2016 Census of Population and Housing data, this provides an ideal opportunity to join a well-established team as they embark on a new forecasting cycle.
What would you do with your days?
- Undertake the preparation, production and delivery of population forecasts
- Manage individual projects within a team environment
- Undertake demographic, housing and spatial analysis
- Provide support to client managers and other members of the forecast.id team
- Contribute to the development of .id’s business
Who are you?
- Qualifications in Urban Planning, Geography, Demography, Economics or similar
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a related role
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Able to meet deadlines, lead and manage multiple projects
- Able to work independently and as a part of a team
- Well-developed skills in Microsoft Office and GIS software
- Passion for, and understanding of “place”
- Strong numeracy skills
- A positive, motivated person who enjoys their work
- Enjoy presenting research and analysis for clients, and leading discussion
- Understanding of the drivers behind urban and regional change
- Good understanding of the Census of Population and Housing
- Understanding of the relationship between urban development and planning policies/strategies
- Previous experience working in an Agile environment would be well regarded
If you have questions or would like more information about the role please contact Andy Rossiter on (03) 9417 2205.
To apply, please submit your CV and include a covering letter telling us what excites you about this opportunity. Please note this opportunity is only open to current Australian residents.