What we can offer you?
Would you like to work in a role that allows you to make a meaningful contribution to support the development of services and infrastructure in our society? Would you like to work in a rapidly changing and dynamic environment where you have the opportunity to test and experiment with new ideas and approaches? Would you like to build relationships / partnerships with new and existing clients across a range of industries? Would you like to work with a team who are committed to creating an intelligent company where our ideas can flourish, our work matters, and we treat ourselves and our clients with integrity and humour?
We have a role for an experienced consulting professional with client/product management focus to support .id’s Location Decisions business.
We work across a breadth of top tier clients, including: Coles, ANZ, Stockland, Red Cross Blood Service, Catholic Education Office (Melbourne, Perth, Sydney and others), Legal Aid, NBN Co, Japara, Urbis and many more.
Our contribution to society is to build the demographic evidence-base upon which important decisions are made. Often this involves sharing the story of change as to how cities and towns move through various suburb lifecycles.
How many new primary schools does Victoria need and where should they be located?
Where should elite football teams locate their training grounds?
How can we help increase the number of people donating blood?
One of the key datasets that underpins many of these location decisions is a set of detailed micro-geography population forecasts (Small Area Forecast information), often delivered through an online spatial analysis application called .id Placemaker.
The Location Decisions team are currently on a journey in transitioning the way we develop and deliver our population forecasts. We are working using Agile principles to test and experiment with different ways of producing our forecasts and seeking opportunities to automate previously labour-intensive parts of their production. We are doing this to deliver a better product to our clients and enable us to provide more regular forecast updates in the areas that matter most to our clients (ie. rapidly changing areas of development).
Whilst transitioning to a new approach, we are also continuing to deliver regular forecast updates to our significant base of existing subscription clients. To maintain focus, however, we are having to carefully consider and manage other work and enquiries that come in (including for existing clients). In some instances, this means saying ‘no’ to other work while we focus on this important transition.
This role provides you with the opportunity to work with our clients to understand their needs and requirements and translate this back to our technical experts.
The role will require you to regularly communicate with our clients to keep them abreast of our progress and answer any questions they may have. As we move into a more regular delivery phase, this role will likely present opportunities to identify and implement strategies for generating new client business. This will involve working with the .id team to identify new opportunities and depending on your interests may include attending and speaking at conferences, running seminars, blogging on specific topics, building on existing relationships etc.
Is this a permanent role?
Our two current client managers (job share) will be starting their maternity leave around Christmas / New Year.
As we are in an experimental phase of working, this role is advertised as a full-time maternity leave cover (until approx. February / March 2021). However, the role may very well present an opportunity for the right candidate to continue on as a permanent employee following this period if / when we are able to transition back into a growth phase. At that point, the role would expand to include further business development, marketing and sales activities.
What would you do with your days?
- Maintain relationships with existing clients. This includes keeping our clients informed of progress, scoping and pricing requests for additional services and managing contracts.
- Contribute to developing and sharing the story of change as we release population forecasts based on the knowledge from our domain experts.
- Provide a client lens to team decisions regarding the development of the population forecasts.
- Taking the strategic lead for the Locations Decision business, including presenting at monthly company-wide strategy meetings. Responsibilities include, looking up and out, considering pricing strategies, and managing priorities to balance demand with capacity of the team.
- Qualify new enquiries generated through .id’s online marketing strategy and business development activity (and carefully manage interest in new work with the teams focus on the population forecast project).
- As appropriate, successfully co-design consulting/product solutions with existing clients.
- Project-manage and contribute to the delivery of consulting work.
- Potentially look for and respond to opportunities to expand our reach.
Who are you?
- A positive, motivated person who enjoys their work
- A flexible individual who thrives working in a dynamic and experimental work environment
- Excellent writer, communicator and collaborator
- A skilful and tactful negotiator
- Passion for, and understanding of “place”
- Experience dealing with clients and managing complex problems
- Strategic, results-oriented thinker
- Meets commitments, and can juggle multiple priorities and works well independently and as part of a team
- A proven ability to build effective relationships with colleagues and clients
- Experience delivering quality, customised outcomes in complex environments
- Attention to detail
- Degree qualified in relevant field
- Has a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a consulting environment
- Previous experience working with demographic data, including an understanding of ABS geographies and datasets is highly regarded
- Understanding of Agile working principles is highly regarded
If this sounds like you, we will be delighted to hear from you! Please apply online (including a cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org or for further enquiries about the role, contact Sally Blandy, Client Manager on 9417 2205