Senior Demographic Consultant
About the role
We’re looking for someone with expertise and a passion for informing community decision-making; someone who wants to be influential in this space. The role involves consulting and business development, and even some product development.
More than 250 local councils subscribe to our flagship product, profile.id.com.au. Many councils look to us for help digging deeper into specific problems. This presents an exciting opportunity to develop a flourishing demographic consulting business to service demand from our existing clients. The consulting will, in turn, inform the further development of our online information tools.
Using your strong analytical and communication skills, you will identify and analyse the demographic processes at work in an area to inform service delivery, planning and advocacy. Possible projects include:
- residential role and function analysis to inform a broad range of council strategies
- community infrastructure needs
- detailed ‘community of interest’ analysis to address local needs (e.g. elderly residents, disability, cultural diversity, gender equality etc).
The role sits in a small team with the complete set of skills required to respond to our local-government clients, including ABS and Census data expertise, database and GIS, software development, client management, business development and strategy.
While you will be able to deliver consulting jobs independently, you will be a fully integrated member of the team, actively looking for opportunities to benefit from the mix of skills in the team and ensuring consulting informs the development of our web products (and vice-versa).
Who are we?
.id (Informed Decisions) are population experts dedicated to informing decisions that shape our future. Initially formed by a small group of ‘corporate refugees’, we are passionate about what we do and who we do it with.
.id’s original and central vision is to elevate the quality of policy decision-making by adding value to the best sources of available data; to analyse and present that data in a compelling way that provides profound insights into places as defined by the people that live in them.
Since 1997 we’ve grown to become market leaders, with more than 250 Local Governments from Australia and New Zealand relying on our services to make decisions for their communities.
Providing services for new migrant groups, the rapidly growing ageing cohorts, disengaged youth, and an overall rapidly growing population has become a central narrative in our national discourse. The delivery of services and facilities is as challenging as ever for local government, fraught with risk in the absence of excellent evidence-based decision making.
There is no more important data source to provide this evidence base than the ABS Population and Household Census.
The Community team champions this core function, focusing on social-planning decisions. We service our local-government clients through a combination of online products and consulting services. We are small responsible for the end-to-end delivery of all relevant products and services. With the rest of .id we embrace Agile principles and methodologies.
What it’s like to work with us
Along with the perks and benefits for all .id employees, here are some reasons we think you’ll love being a consultant at .id.
Inform strategies and investment decisions
You’ll undertake deep analysis to help our clients make better planning and investment decisions that drive sustainable and inclusive community development.
Gain exposure and insights to places across Australia and New Zealand
You’ll rapidly gain experience with a vast range of regions and clients and get to see how you make a difference on the ground.
Collaborate with other experts
.id prides itself on being the best at what we do, and that means having the highest level of expertise. Joining .id means working with passionate demographers, economists and forecasters, client managers and developers.
Small teams, big impact
Our organisation is structured around small teams that deliver a value-stream end-to-end. You will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the team’s strategy, and to the wider company’s consulting approach.
Your day to day might include
- asking exploratory questions to help understand our clients needs
- collecting data and information you’ll use to build communication to inform clients
- collaborating with the team to turn what you’ve learnt on consulting projects into automation and product innovation
- joining team retrospectives or strategic planning sessions
- presenting your findings to clients
- analysing local and regional trends through our online web applications, demographic modelling and research
- identifying issues, developing hypotheses and translating data into meaningful insights and presenting findings to clients
- creating repeatable methodologies
- publishing your work (e.g. ebooks, blogs) to increase our digital marketing initiatives.
- writing proposals based on a client’s needs
Skills and experience we’re looking for
- 5+ years’ experience working in demographic analysis, development or as a consultant/researcher.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications
- Demonstrated abilities in consulting (scoping, developing and delivering)
- Strong analytical skill set (e.g. data analysis, spatial analysis, modelling, statistical techniques, methodology development)
- Sound understanding of Census data
- Client-focused mindset
- Strategic commercial thinker
- Strong writer and speaker with the ability to explain complex issues in simple terms.
- Highly skilled in developing informative presentations and reports (eg MS Office)
- Willingness to travel
- Passionate and curious
- Experience with ABS table-builder
- Experience with databases and data visualisation tools
- Experience working with local and/or state governments
What we expect
- Work with client managers to build collaborative relationships with local-government clients, increasing .id’s profile within these organisations.
- Look for and respond to consulting opportunities to expand our influence
- Explore, scope, develop and deliver consulting and analysis work that results in meaningful and positive impacts on our clients.
- Work collaboratively with clients, team members and other .id experts.
- Understand the symbiotic relationship between our web products and consulting services.
- Successfully present consulting work, clearly articulating to executives the potential of this analysis to influence and transform their decision making.
- Be an expert in understanding and communicating .id’s vision and values to its clients, specifically as this relates to local government in Australia and New Zealand
- Understand the nexus between consulting services and the development of on-line products
- Contribute to the development of a national strategy for the sales and marketing of local government consulting
- Contribute to achieving the annual revenue targets agreed for the team and business
Teamwork and communication
- Lead by example and ‘bring people with you’
- Seek out and generously give constructive feedback
- Ensure your work is transparent to the team
- Embrace and encourage innovation and collaboration
- Become an active member of the community of consultants across teams at .id.
- Work as part of the wider .id community to create a positive and harmonious workplace – somewhere people enjoy coming to work
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a cover letter and resume that addresses the role requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, call Daniel Corbett on 9417 2205.