Join the .id team
Senior Developer (Demographics Team)
Who are we?
.id (Informed Decisions) are population experts dedicated to informing decisions that shape our future. Initially formed by a small group of ‘corporate refugees’, we are passionate about what we do and who we do it with.
The Demographics Team supports decisions about community services, facilities and infrastructure. Our flagship product is a web app that provides detailed ‘stories of place’ for our Local Government clients, based primarily on ABS Census data. We are a small cross-functional team with great domain knowledge looking to back-fill and expand our engineering skill set. With the rest of .id we embrace Agile principles and methodologies.
Check out the Demographics team’s flagship product: profile.id.com.au
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced full-stack engineer with solid database, back-end and DevOps experience. This role will be challenging, rewarding and varied. You will:
- be responsible for providing technical solutions to maintain, evolve and expand our product offering
- help bring our legacy database and application architecture forward in a sustainable and meaningful way
- be a champion for best-practice
- take a leading role in engineering, test-driven-development thinking and process-improvement.
We currently work in a Microsoft development environment.
Skills and experience we’re looking for
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in software development
- Experience with data-driven applications in a cloud-based DevOps environment.
- Strong SQL database skills
- Experience with test-driven design
- Experience utilising microservices
- .NET Framework, C#, VB.net, MVC pattern (or experience with equivalent object-oriented language and the desire to learn)
- Understanding of security best-practice for database and applications
- Experience with an Agile delivery team
- A passion for ensuring important decisions about our communities are based on sound data
- Experience with ingesting large sets of third party data for delivery via our web app
- Familiarity with Microsoft Azure and Service Fabric
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery methods and tools
What we expect
- Build high-quality software in line with the team’s strategy and our users’ needs
- Champion the strategic reduction of our technical debt
- Inform the strategic prioritisation of development projects
Standards, architecture and knowledge transfer
- Champion the ongoing development of technical standards, principles and processes
- Champion improved testing methodologies to improve quality and lower risk
- Actively seek out opportunities to transfer knowledge and skills to co-workers
- Seek out and recommend new technologies and practices
Teamwork and communication
- Lead by example and ‘bring people with you’
- Seek out and generously give constructive feedback
- Ensure your work is transparent to the team
- Commit to solving problems prioritised by the team; avoid trying to solve everything at once or to every new problem as they arise
- Embrace and encourage innovation and collaboration
- Become an active member of the community of developers across teams at .id.
- Work as part of the wider .id community to create a positive and harmonious workplace – somewhere people enjoy coming to work
What it’s like to work with us?
Along with the perks and benefits for all .id employees, here are some reasons we think you’ll love being a developer at .id.
See the whole picture
Our developers take responsibility for complete products, not just small aspects of them.
Small teams, big impact
Our organisation is structured around small teams that deliver a value stream end-to-end. Developers sit and work alongside client managers, subject matter experts, consultants, product owners: everyone needed to deliver to our clients. You’ll be the voice of technology in your team, and will also have the opportunity to impact the wider company’s technological direction.
We build things that matter
Our products, which attract more than 1.2 million users per annum, are used to make real-life decisions about how to build our cities and provide services to the people living in them.
.id is an established organisation and proven financial record, but retains the mentality of a start-up.
In it for the long haul
We look for loyal, long-term people who want to take an active role in building the business together.
Our phased recruitment process includes an introductory conversation, a coding challenge and technical and cultural interviews.
To apply please email your CV and an introductory letter telling us why you’re a great fit for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.