A framework for housing policy
housing.id provides a framework for developing housing policy that meets the needs of changing households, sustains the population base AND protects key residential areas from inappropriate development. We do this by answering the following questions:
- How is the population changing?
- How are the households changing?
- How is the dwelling stock changing?
- Which households live in which types of dwellings?
- Where is residential development occurring?
- What opportunity is there for residential development around Activity Centres?
- What opportunity is there for infill residential development?
- What opportunity is there for housing on redevelopment sites?
- What opportunity is there for housing in green field estates?
housing.id is based on the premise that densification of housing in existing urban areas is good policy provided it is planned well. It can provide accommodation and employment near public transport, protect established residential areas from inappropriate development and reduce the pressure for urban sprawl.
Importantly, it also increases housing choice, which leads to a mix of household types living in an area and maintains the demand for a broad service mix. We believe this is the key to sustainable communities.