We are looking for a motivated relationship-builder to help us accelerate the roll out of our population forecasts into the Local Government market. Put your entrepreneurial skills to work to improve the lives of others by ensuring decisions are being made on the best possible evidence base.
With more than 25 years’ experience using demographic, economic and social research data to tell stories of places and communities .id is Australia’s leading provider of online tools, consulting services and support to the Local Government sector and wider industries. We are passionate about what we do and who we do it with.
The forecast team is a cross-functional team made up of population forecasters, geospatial analysts, client consultants, software developers and marketers. The team produces a national set of population and dwelling forecasts down to small-area geographies which are sold through a variety of delivery tools to local governments, state and federal departments, private industries and not-for-profits. We have a unique national asset and ambitious revenue goals.
You have a bold and entrepreneurial disposition with demonstrated commercial capability. You are motivated not only by sales, but by helping clients get genuine value from our offer. Your approach to sales is one of collaboration and transparency. You build relationships quickly and have an innate ability to ask the right questions. You are able to work independently while enjoying being part of a close-knit team. You share our values and vision to make a contribution to a good society by supporting evidence based decision making.
Ideally, you have experience working with local governments or similar entities.
About the role
This role sits within the Local Government squad of our forecasting team. .id (informed decisions) has a market-leading subscription-based population forecasts tool, forecast.id, which forms part of our wider Local Government digital information platform. The primary function of this role is to sell our forecast tool into Local Governments that have not yet adopted it.
.id (informed decisions) has a strong presence in the Local Government market. We know the market, and have relationships with most, if not all, councils. So the core focus is less on opening up brand new markets and more on navigating a known market: finding the key decision-makers and helping them understand the value we offer.
We know from experience that selling our tools requires a strong understanding of our clients’ needs and challenges, and the ability to speak with authority on how our offer aligns with these.
On any given day you may be undertaking any of the following activities:
- Demonstrating our tools to potential clients, asking genuine questions about their needs and sharing how we can help
- Researching a council or region to understand their specific needs and identifying internal decisions makers and potential champions
- Following active deals, assisting internal champions build business cases to support the investment
- Taking the lead on tender and RFQ submissions
- Monitoring our sales pipeline and identifying ways to improve our ability to generate leads and convert them to sales
- Familiarising yourself with recent forecast updates so you can speak with authority in front of clients
- Joining and contributing to team ceremonies including daily stand ups and regular planning and review sessions
- Assisting forecast consultants manage existing clients
- Contributing to our marketing efforts by generating content or following up on potential leads generating through our marketing channels
- Collaborating with sales and client management colleagues across .id’s teams, sharing opportunities and identifying better ways of working
Desired skills and qualifications
- Demonstrated abilities in a sales / client success role or equivalent
- An ability to quickly learn and communicate our domain (population forecasting and the Local Government market)
- Understanding of how to represent a market-leading subscription-based product, selling based on value rather than cost
- Excellent communication skills - abilities to write, present, converse and listen
- Strong time management skills; the ability to manage multiple concurrent leads
- A commitment to working transparently and collaboratively with your team
- The ability to travel interstate
- Current drivers license
- Relevant tertiary degree
- A curious disposition
This is a full-time ongoing role based in our Melbourne (Collingwood) office.