ClientBega Valley Council
Bega Valley Council required research to support the development of the Economic Development Vision Platform.
Our analysis highlighted the changing dynamics in the local economy is generating several opportunities and potential challenges. Understanding these opportunities and challenges provided Council with a strong foundation to identify the most appropriate intervention.
This work was an integral step to inform consultation with key businesses, industry, organisations and community to develop the Bega Valley through Regional Economic Development Strategy 2021-2031.
Bega Valley Council engaged .id to undertake an economic analysis to support the development of the Economic Development Vision Platform. The Economic Development Vision Platform aims to become a blue print for the Bega Valley Shire that outlines the region’s natural advantages, industry strengths, emerging opportunities, existing clusters and expertise, future economic challenges and future potential.
We developed a slide-deck report that delivered at-a-glance, economic analysis about the LGA’s key economic indicators including:
- Economic growth
- Economic drivers (population, participation, productivity)
- Job growth and labour force performance
- Industry and business activity
- Socio-economic changes
This information was then used by the economics team to identify the main opportunities and challenges facing the local economy. Some of the challenges included:
- Competition for tourism experiences (regional, domestic, international)
- Increasing adaption of digital technology and automation, with impacts on agriculture and manufacturing.
- Under-investment in regional infrastructure
- Spatial implications of a growing service sector and knowledge economy
- Attracting and keeping skilled workers, especially in light of an ageing population
Our insights were then presented to the economic development working group and provided an opportunity to answer questions and discuss actions to progress the development of the Economic Development Vision Platform.
The insights from our economic health check have been used to inform consultation with key businesses, industry, organisations and community to develop the Bega Valley through Regional Economic Development Strategy 2021-2031.